A MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENT
On behalf of the Officers and Members of BACONJ – thank you for visiting our website. 2019 is a monumental year for us. This year we Celebrate 40 Years of service to the Community!
We hope that our mission and message inspire you to support this organization. We are committed and dedicated to helping others anywhere in the world a need is identified.
Check in with us periodically to see what new and exciting plans are in the works. Don’t forget, we on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Barbados American Charitable Organization of New Jersey, Inc. (BACONJ) specific objectives and purposes are:
- To support various charitable and educational projects in Barbados, the Caribbean, the United States of America, or other places as determined by the organization and circumstances.
- Such support will include, but is not limited to providing hospital equipment, assisting victims of natural or unnatural disasters, and awarding educational scholarships and other educational supplies.
- Such assistance shall not be restricted by nationality, race, color, sex, creed or age
In 1979, a group of seven concerned individuals, made a commitment to make the lives of the children housed at the Thelma Vaughn Memorial Home better. With fundraising efforts that began by having small social gatherings and asking patrons to make small donations by purchasing food & drinks- The Barbados Charitable Organization of New Jersey was born. One of the founding members, Jeanette Edghill is still actively involved today!
We have grown by leaps and bounds since that time and are now a group of twenty three members, whose commitment remains the same- to make a difference in the lives of those that are in need anywhere in the world. Among those countries that we have given to, are Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, Dominica and Africa. Here at home we have made contributions to both local and national efforts including the United Negro College Fund, Toys for Tots, Meals on Wheels as well as providing assistance to senior citizen programs. Our contributions to Barbados have been focused mainly in the area of health care. In 1999, a dialysis machine was presented to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. In 2007, we presented 4 ventilator machines to the neo natal unit. Upon touring the dialysis ward there was great pride when we realized that the hospital now has 23 of the machines that we had originally presented.
Another focus of the organization is to recognize those individuals within our communities that have made a difference whether by community involvement, teaching, nursing or otherwise. These individuals are recognized at our annual Pre-Independence Gala in November.
In September of 2007, we changed our name to the Barbados-American Charitable Organization of NJ, Inc., and also formed a 501(c) 3 non-profit group. We currently have three main fundraising efforts a year- spring fundraiser on Memorial Sunday, Tricky Tray Event in early Fall and the Pre-Independence Gala in November. The funds raised at these events fund our causes:
- Scholarships to deserving high school seniors
- Holiday Gifts to children within the Department of Children Protection and Permanency (DCPP)
- Free Meals Program for Covenant United Methodist Church (Plainfield)
- Provide support and assistance in the event of natural disasters
Due to the tireless efforts of our members and the continued support of our patrons, these events allow us to make a difference and stay committed to the causes that are near and dear to us. We are also committed to supporting our sister organizations with their fundraising efforts.
Our motto “Together we Aspire, Together we Achieve” echoes not only our convictions and commitment but our beliefs.